A site about the case of Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito, based on primary and secondary sources, with original research on the DNA evidence and alleged staged burglary.
Update: on March 27, 2015, Amanda and Raffaele were exonerated.
In November 2007, Amanda and Raffaele, after extensive questioning over a number of days without legal representation, were charged with murdering Amanda’s roommate Meredith Kercher.
- Under great pressure, Amanda became confused and (in the eyes of the Italian police) implicated Patrick Lumumba, who had an alibi.
- Rudy Guede (who had fled to Germany) was arrested and brought back to Perugia, and in the face of overwhelming forensic evidence was convicted in a fast-track trial.
- A storm of publicity in the UK and Italy led to many false rumours being published.
- At trial, a frenzied atmosphere prevailed, and due mainly to DNA evidence that was later discredited, Amanda and Raffaele were convicted at the first level trial.
- The conviction was overturned in October 2011, and Amanda and Raffaele were released.
- However in early March 2013, the Italian Supreme court did not confirm the acquittal.
- In June 2013, the “motivations” document was released.
- It’s the author’s firm opinion that this trial was a modern day “witch hunt”, built on a pile of suspicion that does not constitute evidence.
- When the evidence is examined in great detail, it turns out to be invalid or very weak, especially the DNA evidence concerning the bra-clasp and knife blade.
- No credible motive was established, and the prosecution kept pushing the time of death later and later.
- On January 30, 2014, a Florence court upheld the conviction.
- In March 2015, the Supreme Court of Cassation acquitted them, ruling that they were not involved in the murder
Raffaele Sollecito’s memoir Honor Bound: My Journey to Hell and Back with Amanda Knox was published in September 2012. Amanda Knox’s memoir, Waiting to be Heard, was published on April 30, 2013.
Together they are an indispensable guide to the defense case. The list of lies, compiled with the help of supporters at Injustice Anywhere Forum was made before publication of the books. I believe it has held up well, but there are probably a few minor inaccuracies.
Why Italy judges keep tormenting Knox Douglas Preston, March 31st, 2013.
- GoFundMe : Raffaele Sollecito ReTrial in Florence Site for donations to help Raffaele
- Injustice in Perugia main site for supporters, extensive discussion. ( also summary in Italian )
- Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito News – twitter
- http://murderofmeredithkercher.com/ – another quality site with good information.
- Menu on left for further information
- Responses to Meredith Kercher wiki – responses to a wiki that discusses the case from the prosecution / Kercher family point of view.
- Interpreting the knife blade DNA results in the trial of Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito Ground report article, November 2012
- Amanda Knox interrogation – a separate wiki that looks at Amanda’s interrogation in detail.
- The search for the Femme Fatale which describes features that are common to modern media witch-hunts.
- Trial by Media – a list of high profile cases, intended to give a broad perspective.
- Fair trial and due process – http://www.justice.org.uk – Advancing access to justice, human rights and law.
“The hope of seeing one’s innocence declared in the end can sustain those who are really innocent through such trying times.”
Dr Hellmann, Presiding Judge,